Sunday, November 8, 2009

Schooch over, Mommy.

I sat in church today, a few rows behind a young family. I smiled inside as I watch the children cuddle and climb on their mother. Each wanted to be by her. Balancing from one side of her lap to another, switching arms back and forth between the four children, she showered them with love. It was obvious she loved them, and they adored her.


It’s been said that mom’s don’t receive enough praise. Enough acknowledgement, appreciation or admiration. Its been said that being a mom is all guts and no glory. Toiling for the unseen rewards.

It occurred to me today that idea just might not be entirely true.I would suggest that maybe, just maybe, we haven’t opened our eyes to see it.

The adoration and appreciation mom’s seek and crave is in the arms of their little children. No, its nothing tangible. And, if we aren’t careful, we will miss seeing it. But it is there - in the most sincere, honest form praise or appreciation can ever be given.

My children will probably never thank me for washing their underwear, but today, I realized, they thank me in other ways.

And as I watch this mom attempt to balance four children I smiled and shifted in my seat, gaining more insight into my children’s love language. As one child cuddled on my left, another on my right and one in my lap, I forgot that my aging hindquarters were going numb and enjoyed the positive reinforcement my little children were giving me.

9 comments:

Annette said...

Great! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I need to be reminded of our different Children's Love Lanuage.
Thank for coming over to dinner tonight. :)

That Girl said...

I like this lots.

Emmy said...

What a wonderful thought and insight! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I really am grateful for understanding the Love language of my kids, it has helped me as a mother more than almost everything else.

great post

Synergy Girl said...

First of all, I am not sure if I am more impressed that with all of your kids in church, you were able to notice something so meaningful and deep, or that your kids were "sitting" in church...!! I was just lucky this last Sunday that my baby didn't make it all the way to the pulpit from the cultural hall, before I caught up to him...!! Thanks for the sweet post!!

Teanne said...

Thank you for that! It's true, their love is the best thank you we can receive.

My Many Coloured Days said...

Thanks for this beautiful post and new outlook for those "scrambling on top of me" sacrament meetings.

Johnson Family said...

I was sooo excited to find your blog via Shawnie's blog. What a wonderful writer and mother you are and I am happy to observe your blog!!
Christa Johnson
p.s. I love blogs like yours because I am a young mom with stage 3 cancer and four kids and I just love being a mom and watching others in the "mom zone". thanks for your uplifting comments!

Märta Harr said...

Love seeing other beautiful Mom's doing what they do best, sharing the simple, beautiful, profound, tender mercies! God Bless You! Amazing post! Keep up the good work! Thank you!