Friday, June 3, 2011

One way to brighten my day


A while back I was sick. Really sick. For a couple weeks. It included an emergency room visit, lots of weird medicine, tons of sleep and even some vomiting. Lovely. (don’t worry, I am all better now)

Well, one of the things I do when I am sick (don’t freak out) is lay on my shower floor with a towel under my head. Something about the warm running water helps me feel just a little bit better.

Near the end of the illness, I had an afternoon of pure nausea, severe pain and complete blah, I crawled into the shower and closed my eyes. Now, knowing Ms. Princess, I had the foresight to put on my swimming suit in case she planned on joining me.

Sure enough, moments after I closed my eyes, in walks Ms. Princess. She was wearing her yellow Rapunzel swimming suit and invited herself into my space. I think I may have grunted something to tell her it was ok.

Soon, she was squeegeeing the glass, singing her princess songs and having the time of her life.  I, on the other hand, laid on the floor. Sick, grumpy and otherwise unpleasant to be around or with. (Poor princess had to endure me like that for two weeks.)

At the very moment I thought, “I can't believe what a bad mom I am being.” (self-inflicted “thought-wounds” are easier when ill)  Ms. Princess turns to me and says, “Mommy, when I grow up, I want to be just like you.”

And that was all it took to make my day. So grateful this little one was sent to me!

2 comments:

susan said...

Way to think of a swim suit! Body parts questions are so much more freaky when you're already miserable.

So did they figure out what you had? Is everything better now?

Huston Family said...

Little girls really have a way with words! I have one just like that...maybe it's the name. Glad youre doing better. Love your blog!