Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's all a matter of...

The other day while driving through an intersection, I was nearly hit by someone running a red light. I swerved to avoid collision but as a result, scared the driver next to me. Thankfully, no cars or bodies were scraped or damaged. However, I was left feeling very shaken and assumed the driver to my left felt the same way. As I slowly approached in my car to check on the driver I frightened, I was surprised to find out she was furious (in the amount of 4 or 5 expletives). I was sure she had known what was happening. I was positive she must have known how close we all came to a severe accident.


She didn’t.

Instead, she saw only what affected her. Had she been able to see over my minivan to the other side, she might have seen what was causing the problem and perhaps not taken out her frustration on me. Maybe she would have seen that the driver to my right obviously didn’t seem to care about too much at that moment, except what was affecting him. We were not in his line of sight because he was more worried about what the street signs read.

I could see both cars. The one nearly running me through and the one I nearly swiped. But the drivers to my left and right couldn’t see the big picture.

How many times in life are we blinded from the BIG picture because we can only see what affects us? Can we only see our particular lane in the “road of life”? How often do we react poorly because we are not aware of what is happening to those around us?

It’s all a matter of perspective, I suppose. And while I can elaborate on all the ways people are blinded from the big picture, there is only one way I choose to focus on today.

And it has to do with Rahm Emanuel.

Now I know he is not the only to ever “that” word. But the publicity over his error and “apology” make for more than interesting debate. This word has been used to define some of the most angelic of God’s creatures and then used in derogatory ways to insult others.

But WHY??

Now I know there are many out there that may ask “what’s the big deal?”

That is where perspective comes into play. I have a dear blogging buddy who helps keep the rest of us in perspective. She is driving in the figurative middle lane and can see cars on both sides of her.

She has written a touching post about HER perspective.

I know my perspective has changed since "meeting" Fiauna. And I am so glad. I hope that more people will hear these heartfelt words of a tender mother.

And I hope people will think twice.

4 comments:

Tempest Ahoy said...

Lots of virtual hugs for you! What an awful experience. Sadly, too many people think only of themselves.

S'mee said...

Perspective *is* the key. As are maturity, education, Spirituality, and other enlightening qualities.

May we all acquire them quickly.

Emmy said...

Yes, Fiauna's post was amazing. And I am so glad everyone was okay. Sorry you had to get an earful.

And you are right.. we are often so caught up in on own lives that we miss everything around us.

Fiauna said...

I'm sorry to hear about your experience, but I loved how you tied the two things together.

So many people say, "What's the big deal," or "I'd never actually use that word on a disabled person." Well that is like saying it's okay to use certain racist words as long as you aren't using them on actual racial minorities. It makes no sense.

Thanks for sharing.