Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Before the sun...

All my children have taken turns waking early in the morning. Early as in "thedeadarestillsleepingandsoshouldyoube" kind of early. R has been found before dawn in the neighbors yard, petting a kitty. J has awakened us (and the neighbors) before light to see if he could play -- or eat. S would wander the house, and T would wake up to play with trains. But I have to say, B wins the prize for creativity.

We have found her singing to the puppy several mornings abour 3 or 4. She will sometimes play in her bed with her princesses, making up stories for them. But last night, or should I say this morning, was the best reason for being awake I have ever heard from a three year old.

At 4:00 AM B wakes me up, wearing her Cinderella dress and holding a box of cereal. She was so wide awake and so innocent looking, I couldn't help smiling inside when I saw her. But firmly (or at least my best effort) I told her it was still sleeping time. Her face contorted a little as she tried not to cry. Her lip quivered, just barely, and she said in her most sincere, heartfelt, non-whining voice, "But Cinderella would like some cereal from her mother (aka: step-mother)"

Really, what's a mom to do?

3 comments:

Emmy said...

I am so sorry! That would be hard to resist but that is way too early

Anonymous said...

how cute and sweet!

Rhonda said...

Feed her. We have a saying and basically we let our children know that should they "decide to wake up at the crack of stupid..." then they best be prepared to hang out alone for a little while. At least 'til the sun has risen.