Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Division of Labor

So I decided this summer I was going to give each of my boys their own laundry day. I would show them the proper settings to use, how to put the soap in the washing machine, and how to sort colors. Of course for the younger boys, I would start the machines for them. This was a great plan. In fact, if you were to come over to my house, you would see, still posted on the refrigerator, this amazing plan.

We started out with a bang, as all good plans do. I felt proud that I was helping my boys learn this important skill. We kept this up for about a week and a half.

I noticed, during the second week, that the washing machine was leaking water. Literally POURING from the machine. I was so frustrated. It seemed every time I decided to have the kids help with laundry, the machine would break. (this is our 5th washing machine in 15 years of marriage) Hmmm, is there a trend here? Kids do laundry, washing machine breaks.

I called the repair guy and began to investigate. The drum looked like it was out of place but other than that, I couldn't find anything wrong, so I reset the machine and started another load. Same thing happened. Water poured everywhere.

I looked again. This time I found what was causing the problem. The agitation of the drum must have shifted stuff around for me to see it.

I proceeded to pull from my washing machine one of B's favorite potty board books, a Canadian flag, a dirty diaper (so gross), a couple rocks and various other "non laundry" items.

Yup. That was it. I wasn't surprised to find that my washer worked fine once all these items were removed. I still had the repair guy come out to look at the machine to make sure there was no permanent damage. Thankfully there wasn't.

You know, our warranty states that damage from "normal wear and tear" is covered, but not misuse. I am under the impression that the writers of this warranty didn't understand that for a family like mine, THIS IS normal wear and tear.

Needless to say, I am back to doing all the laundry. Do you think the boys planned this?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

AAAAHHH!! glad to hear it works fine again though. and so fun you have a blog! I have one too. you can add me to your friends list!

Laurie said...

I think the warranty needs to define what "normal wear and tear" is. So sorry you are doing all the laundry again. Maybe they should have to clean out the washing machine and pay for it to be fixed. ;)