Sunday, October 10, 2010

Real Phone Conversation...

I got a phone call the other day from J – who obviously found time to break away from his 8th grade day for this terribly important phone call. It was about 10:30 or so and he had already been at school a couple hours.

Me: Hello?
J: mom? I need you to bring me a shoe.
Me: Uhhhh – huh? (I know, my vocabulary is stunning)
J: I need you to bring me a shoe. A right shoe. And I need it right now.
Me: What are you even talking about? Why would you need just a right shoe.
J: Well, my shoe that I was wearing just fell apart. I didn’t even touch it. (followed by a long explanation of how dilapidated his poor shoes were.
Me: (long-winded wonderment of why my child was even calling and in-depth explanations of why the phone call didn’t even make sense followed by…) You’d better find some duct tape.

Ok – so, lets look at this a minute. Now I know that these wanna-be Vans, directly from the local Wal-mart were bound to fall apart sometime. I mean, how long do $10 shoes really last? But we are talking some pretty amazing deconstruction here if J didn’t even touch them because they actually were in one piece when he left for school.

And seriously, am I going to really drive down to the Jr. High with ONE right shoe. I really think that if I had, the boy would have gone around with mismatched shoes – and not even cared.

So… J came home with his shoe wrapped in duct tape.

5 comments:

Boy Mom said...

Duct tape shoes are the coolest. "Wanna be Vans" You make me laugh!

Annette said...

PERFECT!

Just SO said...

He'll probably start a new trend. Duct tape indeed.

Johnson Family said...

I thought that was a great story and you handled it like a champ! Way to not give in, and duck tape works just fine.
Christa Johnson

Laurie said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!