Sunday, January 4, 2009

In the Strength of the Lord

It's a whole new year. New goals. New plans. When I look at who I am and who I want to become, I sometimes feel overwhelmed. But there are simple truths I need to remember. The way has been prepared for me to accomplish what I need to accomplish. A way for me to overcome my weaknesses.

We had a wonderful lesson in Relief Society today which helped me remember these things. It was taken from the talk by David A. Bednar.

Our teacher taught us from this lesson about how the Atoning Sacrifice of the Savior gives us an enabling power to overcome all trials we are faced with. The trials may not be taken away but our ability and strength will increase if we rely on that enabling power.

From the talk itself…

"There is no physical pain, no anguish of soul, no suffering of spirit, no infirmity or weakness that you or I ever experience during our mortal journey that the Savior did not experience first. You and I in a moment of weakness may cry out, "No one understands. No one knows." No human being, perhaps, knows. But the Son of God perfectly knows and understands, for He felt and bore our burdens before we ever did. And because He paid the ultimate price and bore that burden, He has perfect empathy and can extend to us His arm of mercy in so many phases of our life. He can reach out, touch, and succor--literally run to us--and strengthen us to be more than we could ever be and help us to do that which we could never do through relying only upon our own power. "

Take a minute to read this talk. I believe it will help each one of us with our new years resolutions.

6 comments:

Becky said...

This is so good to remember! I often feel like no one in the world understands what kind of day I've just had or the fatigue I'm feeling. But He does. Always.

Heatherly said...

I love how you put it remembering the simple truths. I love this talk.

Brooke said...

This is really interesting, because I just gave a comment in RS on Sunday saying basically this same thing, only Elder Bednar says it so much more eloquently than I did! Wow, I can't believe how perfect this fits.

queenbee4 said...

I love this. It gives me great comfort to know that there is someone who truly understands everything we go through. He doesn't diminish our pain or tell us how to get over it- He just comforts us. Thanks so much for sharing this.

Jen said...

What a wonderful thought! I love Elder Bednar. He's an amazing speaker and apostle. Thanks for the post.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I love this talk. Thanks so much for sharing!