Thursday, December 18, 2008

'Tis the Season

This season has been more hectic and chaotic than any other I have ever experienced. Running from one item on my “to do” list to then next. Barely a moment to breathe. Always ten minutes behind.

It is also a beautiful time of year, when the air fills with the smoky flavor of fireplaces burning. The cool, wet weather seems to cleanse the soul and create a longing for hot cocoa.

As I rush from one point to the next, checking things off my list, I find myself making mental notes of things to remember. The sound of a toddler laughing and telling his mommy, "I love you." The older gentleman wearing his Santa hat and ringing the bell in front of the local grocery store. The mist that arises from the ground as cars whir past.

Memories of my childhood also flood my heart and mind. Memories of my mom's homemade apple pie. Memories of my dad's rich tenor voice singing carols just because. Memories of singing around the piano with my brother and sister, reenacting the Nativity. Memories of a warm blanket and loving parents.

I want to savor every moment. Every memory. Every breath of this magical season.
And so, I plunge forward. Keeping my eye on the task, my heart on the moments, my soul on the memories.

This is my favorite time of year. When the world, in spite of the to-do's, somehow stops to remember the little baby in a manger. The one who grew up to be our King. Our Savior. And in spite of personal beliefs or convictions, the world slows. Stores close, families unite, and hope increases. Because of Him. The Prince of Peace.

I want to hold on to that belief. And, though I rush around, savor the priceless nature of this season.

6 comments:

Ed said...

My favorite time of year as well...enjoy the peace!!

Becky said...

Thanks for the reminder - I feel like I've been on fast forward since the end of October, but you're right, I should slow down and enjoy this.

Unknown said...

I love this time of year - it can get hectic though.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I love it too...even though I'm in such hetic mode right now!

Becky said...

Tagged you over on my blog today if you wanna take a peek. :)

Jen said...

This is my favorite holiday to celebrate...but because it is based on FACT and not fiction. Based on our Savior's birth and not on a big jolly fat guy stomping around on my roof! Have a wonderful Christmas.