Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Pearly whites

Our afternoon began normally enough… kids coming home from school, dropping their shoes as far away from the “shoe bench” as possible, raiding the fridge and of course T running into a wall. Now mind you, this wall has been part of this home since before T’s birth. He has grown up with this wall. He knows it’s there. He said he was aiming for the door next to it, but the door was closed, so I don’t get it either way.

I was outside and came in when I heard the loud bump. Bekah was saying “Tren sad, Tren sad” then she started crying just as T came around the corner with a mouth full of blood. Ewwww! I quickly got him to the bathroom and began rinsing his mouth. I had to pull his swollen lip off of his two bottom teeth – more blood. Then I began to examine the damage. I felt like I was remaining fairly calm. But when saw his teeth I said, “We are going to the dentist!” (So grateful that we have an AWESOME pediatric dentist.) His top front teeth looked like one had dropped down further, the other one seemed to be at a 45 degree angle. The bottom teeth also looked like they were angled all wrong. Of course this was my best view through the constant flow of blood. Again, I thought I was being calm.

Our pediatric dentist is great. He got us right in. On a good traffic day, if I don’t speed it can take me 15 minutes to get there. He is LONG ways away. Today it took me 20 minutes. Bad traffic and hitting every red light is inevitable when you are in a hurry.

Imagine my surprise when the dentist looked in T’s mouth and they weren’t really broken into jack-o-lantern teeth. They weren’t all crooked like I thought. They weren’t pushed in, pulled out or otherwise. You could tell that he had hit his mouth, but it was much less serious than I thought. Thankfully, only his two top teeth were loose, and they are the baby teeth. The x-ray showed no damage to the permanent teeth. And the bottom teeth were no problem at all (thanks to his now fat lip).

On the way home, as we hit all the lights green and made it home in record time, I drew some conclusions. First, I am so glad T is OK and grateful there wasn’t permanent damage. Second, Murphy’s Law is securely in place and I know that I will always hit a red light when I am in a hurry. Third, I am never as calm as I think I am. Finally, I think I might have a problem, once I realized T was OK, I was kicking myself for not getting a picture of the whole thing. Of course, I’m sure my squeamish readers will be just fine that I didn’t grab a picture. I could take one now, but it just wouldn’t be as dramatic – you know, with it really not being as bad as I thought and all.

Dentists and Doctors must really dread dealing with crazy moms. :)


Natalie said...

I am so glad everything turned out o.k. I think of what Christy has been going throught with her kids' teeth and think it must be the pits. Hopefully T is not in to much pain from the incident.

threehappyhansens@yahoo.com said...

Yikes! Poor T! It really is nerve racking to see blood on your kids!